Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

Our school

The school was established in 1957 on a 12 hectare site and was originally called Zillmere North State School. Enrolments have fluctuated greatly since inception, ranging from a high of 850 to a low of 200 students.  The school’s name was changed to Taigum in 1993.

The Preschool and SEDU date from the early 70’s, whilst other facilities such as the swimming pool, adventure playground and netball courts have been gradually added over the years. In 1998, a dedicated Outside School Hours Care building was constructed to cater for the large numbers of children requiring supervision before and after school. In 2006, A Prep Building was built to cater for the introduction of Prep in January 2007.

Taigum State School has approximately 370 primary and prep students. These students come from a wide range of backgrounds. Twenty to twenty-five per cent come from non- English speaking households and approximately ten per cent identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage. In the last few years, the school has had significant enrolments of students from the Middle East, as well as an influx of students from South-East Asia.

At present, there are 15 classes including 2 Preps. An ECDU (Early Childhood Development Unit) on campus, caters for a further 40 students, most of whom are hearing impaired.